Strong first half powers women’s basketball to victory

Photo by Daniel RussellMona Martin let out a giant cheer during her post-game press conference. One could even call it thunderous.

ULM’s veteran women’s basketball coach is the first to tell you that she’s an emotional person. It’s just how she’s wired. As a coach, sometimes that can be a feast or famine proposition, especially with this year’s young team.

But on Saturday afternoon at Fant-Ewing Coliseum, it was time to feast.

The Warhawks (4-15, 2-8) took advantage of a high-scoring first half to come away with a 79-74 win over Troy. The win snapped a three-game losing skid and gave ULM the season-sweep over the Trojans (3-16, 0-10).

“We shot the ball exceptionally well in the first half because we were getting looks inside,” Martin said. “We got some easy buckets.”

ULM scored a season-high 48 points in the first half on 48.7 percent shooting, taking a 15 point lead into the locker room at halftime. The hot start didn’t last. Those shots stopped falling in the second half, allowing Troy to go on a 17-5 run that saw the ULM lead dwindle to two.

Situations like this can get the best of a young time. But not today. Martin’s team rose to the occasion. Thanks in no small part to junior forward Ashleigh Simmons. After a three-point play by guard Alexar Tugler, Simmons kept the momentum going with two tough buckets inside, forcing Troy to burn a timeout.

“I was trying to get everyone to calm down,” Simmons said. “We started getting stops and running our stuff on offense.”

Troy’s full-court press gave the Warhawks problems in the second half, but Martin countered with a quick adjustment.

Martin had her guards inbound the ball, and began sending players to the middle of the court which gave her team some three-on-one looks that they took advantage of.

“I thought a couple times we could have attacked more but I wanted to slow the ball down,” Martin said. “ We got it across the court and made them play some defense.”

Simmons had a big day for ULM, finishing with 17 points and six rebounds. Many of those points were set up by Tugler, who finished with seven assists. Three total players finished in double figures, including Tugler with 10 and Jasmine Shaw with 19.

Warhawks women’s basketball returns to action on Wednesday, Jan. 30 at Florida Atlantic. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m.