Wally ball anyone?

Wally ball anyone?

Not very athletic but always wanted to play a sport? Name a sport and the ULM Activity Center offers it this spring.

Any ULM student or faculty member has the chance to participate in ULM Intramurals.

The Activity Center’s main goal is to promote recruitment. Without all the recruitment, the Activity Center would not be where it is today.

“We provide opportunities for all students to interact in organized activity regardless of their abilities,” said Robert Reed, the new Assistant Coordinator of Intramurals and Recreational Services.

ULM Intramurals offers events such as racquetball, dodge ball, wally ball, basketball, bingo, arm wrestling, baggo, softball, homerun derby, ShamRock 2Mile Fun Run, bench press and several others.

This year the Activity Center offers a t-shirt contest for those interested in graphic design and creating logos.

A sand volleyball tournament will also be offered in April, for which the time has not been announced.

“I love ULM Intramurals because it gives us an opportunity to represent our sorority and promote Greek unity among students on campus,” said junior kinesiology major Kelsey Mcclung.

Mcclung and her Phi Mu team ended up winning the wally ball game Tuesday night.

Reed said he enjoys the new position, which was offered to him this past fall.

His job allows him to schedule events, train student officials and regulate the intramural games. Reed said that he works with a wonderful staff and students and that the position is great.

Reed said the Activity Center has come such a long way.

ULM Intramurals were organized in 1932 by Coach Paul Kemerer and was sponsored by the athletic department. The only two sports offered at the time were football and basketball and all players had to be approved by the coach.

In 1933, baseball, handball, track, volleyball, tennis and boxing were added to the schedule of Intramurals.

In April 1982, ULM students worked to pass a referendum to increase tuition to finance Intramurals. And in December 1987, a referendum was passed to create the Activity Center we have today.

“The thing I love about intramurals is that there is such a wide variety of sports and activities to do. We had a great time at wally ball and we’re happy to say that Pike Z took first place,” said sophomore criminal justice major Jacob Evans. “My favorite sports are basketball and volleyball. We’re also happy to say we took first in volleyball and plan to do great in basketball.”

In March 1993, the ULM Activity Center officially opened to the ULM students, faculty, staff and alumni.

The Intramural games offered this spring are affordable for everyone. The most students may pay is $10 for a team while most of the games are free to participate or watch.

Winners of the Intramural games will receive free t-shirts and can even compete with other schools in the state. Historically, ULM has won more trophies for girls and boys flag football than any other school in the nation.

For more information, contact the Activity Center at 342-5305 or just stop by and talk with someone.