I work out: Students stay in gym for 2013

When some students hit the gym for their New Year’s resolution, it hit back. But some took the punch and continue to try to get in shape.

A good night’s rest is a smart start to weight loss. Studies show that people who sleep less tend to have more body fat. Limited sleep keeps you from being satisfied after you eat while also stimulating your desire to eat more.

Both of those would obviously cause you to overeat and thus, gain weight. So if you want to lose weight, increasing how much you sleep is a good start.

Many people choose to go to the gym in order to get in shape. This month showed a 40 percent increase in use of the Activity center according to Treina Landrum, Director of Recreational Services.

“November tends to have around 8,000-9,000 participants coming in during that month.  February, reflecting a full month with students being back, is around 12,000-13,000 participants coming in that month,” Landrum said. “We can say safely that late January and February really show peak usage at the Activity Center for fitness and indoor Intramural events.”

Having a structured exercise routine rather than going to the gym randomly is a positive.

“I joined the aerobics class this semester to help me stay more active and have someone push me to meet my New Year’s resolution,” said Jernesia Huggins, a junior pre-pharmacy major.

Some experts recommend being active at least two and a half hours, or at least 30 minutes a day. You don’t even have to do 30 straight minutes. Your exercise can be divided into three sets of ten minutes a day for example.

“I usually do cardio for about 20-30 minutes. I’ll do the elliptical machine. I’ll do the bike. And normally after that I’ll go and work on my abs,” said freshman pre-nursing major Shelby Frye.

ULM’s Activity Center offers many group exercise classes like Zumba, Yoga, Core, Butts & Guts, H.I.I.T., Power Pump and Cardio Circuit for students like Alyssa Sonnier interested in group exercises.

“Since the New Year started, I started to do more cardio and lifting in addition to attending group exercise classes and yoga classes,” said freshman pre-physical therapy major Alyssa Sonnier.

With so many people making it their New Year’s resolution to lose weight and get in shape, it’s no surprise that the gym sees a big increase in participants around this time of year.