Warhawks best Owls on the road

ULM women’s basketball played its best game of the season in route to a 90-86 victory over Florida Atlantic on Wednesday night in Boca Raton, FL.

The Warhawks (5-15, 3-8) scored a season-high 90 points against the Owls (10-10, 7-5), giving them their first home conference loss of the season. Head coach Mona Martin has placed an emphasis on scoring during practice, but even she didn’t expect this kind of high-octane offense.

“I don’t know where it came from, but I can tell you this, I enjoyed it,” Martin said.

The game was played at a fast-and-furious pace that saw 10 ties and 12 lead changes. It looked like ULM would take a six point lead into halftime, until a questionable foul call on a desperation half court shot as time expired put FAU at the free throw line. Three made free throws later, the score was 51-48 going into the locker room.

“It was a foul,” Martin said. “I know the girl jumped into Elexar [Tugler], but we should have just stayed away and let her shoot and we didn’t do it.”

The Warhawks shot a season-high 52 percent from the field and dominated the Owls with a 54-26 scoring advantage in the paint. But FAU’s three-point shooting kept them in the game. The Owls knocked down eight of 17 treys in the game, good for 47 percent.

“We had some transition issues,” Martin said. “The problem was our post players weren’t getting back. Towards the end we did a much better job.”

In an attempt to slow down ULM’s inside game, Owls coach Kelly Lewis-Jay switched to a zone defense. FAU was able to cut the lead to one with eight minutes left, but that was as close as they’d get.

Christina Gray came up big for the Warhawks in the game’s final minutes. Gray helped preserve a ULM victory by taking two charges, coming up with a steal and hitting two game-clinching free throws down the stretch.

“Christina was special tonight. She made some clutch plays,” Martin said. “I am proud of everyone, especially our rebounders.”

Gray finished the game with 12 points. Joining her in double figures were Alexar Tuggler (19), Elexar Tugler (19), Ashleigh Simmons (14) and Alayshia Hunter (11). ULM had five players score in double figures for the second time this season and only the 11th time in school history.

The Warhawks also edged the Owls in rebounding, with a 46-35 advantage