Hilltop too steep

Keith Richard feels like a broken record sometimes.

Considering his team’s struggles this year, it’s easy to do. Richard’s undermanned squad simply doesn’t match up well with the Sun Belt’s more athletic teams.

There’s only so many ways you can say it. The refrain is a familiar one, but that doesn’t make it any less true.

Thursday’s matchup with Western Kentucky offered more of the same as ULM struggled to a 75-57 loss at E.A. Diddle Arena.

“I feel terrible for our guys because I thought we really played hard,” Richard said. “I say that and we got beat by 18. We just couldn’t close the gap.”

For the Warhawks (4-19, 3-14), matchup problems were on display once again. The Hilltoppers (14-14, 8-9) dominated on the block, scoring 32 points in the paint and getting 17 off of second-chance opportunities.

ULM lacks a true-low post scorer, and Jayon James—the Warhawks’ best option down low—spent most of the night on the bench in foul trouble. James finished with 11 points, but played only 28 minutes and eventually fouled out.

Fatigue also became an issue. WKU—playing with a 12-man rotation—was able to wear down ULM, who only play seven guys regularly.

“There was some [fatigue] that went on, no question about it. We missed some buckets inside but some of that was due to them. they’re tall and were able to alter our shots,” Richard said.

Both teams slogged their way through slow starts that saw the game tied at seven early in the first half.

WKU broke the tie with a 12-2 run that kept the Warhawks fighting to keep pace.

Up 12 at halftime, the Hilltopper lead ballooned to 20 before ULM cut into it with an 11-3 run, making the score 53-42. That’s as close as the Warhawks would get for the rest of the night.

The Hilltoppers led by as much as 21 and ULM did not lead once in the game.

Every time ULM looked to start a scoring run, WKU answered with a big play, usually from T.J. Price and George Fant. The duo led the Hilltoppers in scoring with 15 points each.

“[WKU] did a good job of extending the game,” Richard said. “They tuned a missed layup or two by us into a three point shot on the other end. There were two or three five-point swings just like that.”

Amos Olatayo led ULM in scoring for the 11th time this season with 18 points.

Trent Mackey also finished alongside Olatayo and James in double figures with 13, including four of nine from the three-point line.

Junior foward Millaun Brown led the team with 12 rebounds.