Basketball tourney clogs campus roads

Cars filled ULM’s parking lots last weekend as parents and fans piled in for the 2013 LHSAA basketball championships.

The heavy traffic from the tournament showed to be an inconvenience to some students, due to spectators taking up parking spaces by residence halls and other places on campus.

“The tournament caused a disruption on campus. I mean, it’s cool that the campus is being used for an attraction like this, but parking was disrupted for the campus regulars,” said Alexis Alexander, a sophomore English major. “Also traffic was an issue. It caused people to be late to class; even group exercise instructors were affected. Being 10 minutes late to class makes activity center participants upset.”

The section of Northeast Drive between Warhawk Way and Bon Aire Drive was barricaded off during tournament hours. Any travelers wishing to go that route must drive around, albeit it’s not a very long detour.

“It was just a minor inconvenience. People can drive around the barriers. Anything for Natchitoches Central High School. They can block off the whole school if that’s what it takes for my school to get here,” said Devonte Grinstead, a junior health studies pre-professional major.

Many of the teams were local or close to ULM. There are also some schools further away which appeal to people like Grinstead who want to see their high schools compete for a championship. According to The News Star, the tournament was estimated to bring in 15,000 people, which would have benefited local hotels and restaurants.

“We view the tournament as a great way to show the community and the state what ULM has to offer in its hospitality, and exceptional facilities. We welcome the tournament and its participants to ULM and we appreciate the opportunity to host,” said Wayne Brumfield, vice president for student affairs.

While holding such an event may have disrupted campus, many students said the traffic delay was a minor cost for all the positives hosting the LHSAA Top 28 basketball tournament brought. High school students who are visiting for the tournament can fall in love with the campus and decide to attend ULM.

“I think having the basketball tournament on campus is a way to publicize ULM to high school students, however it may cause issues for certain students due to the Coliseum and parking spots being unavailable,” said Jameshia Below, a junior pre-pharmacy major.