Collins returns to ULM athletic department

Photo courtesy of ULM Alumni Association Pat Collins had the pleasure of watching his 1987 NCAA Division 1-AA national championship team be inducted into the ULM Athletic Hall of Fame in October.

Now the old coach has come back to the program he helped reach the pennacle of college football.

Collins has agreed to join the ULM athletic department as a consultant with the ULM Athletic Foundation, per a release from the university.

“I am excited to be back at ULM,” Collins said. “I am impressed with the administration and I love what the coaching staff is doing to help the student-athletes both on and off the field.”

In his new position, Collins will assist the athletic department in promoting Warhawk football within the Monroe community.

“We are thrilled to have Coach Collins on board to assist with our external efforts surrounding the Warhawk football program,” ULM athletics director Bobby Staub said.

In eight seasons as head coach, Collins produced a record of 57-35, making him the winningest-coach in ULM history.

Alongside the national championship, Collins’ teams also won two Southland Conference championships in 1983 and 1987.

“I love Monroe, it is my home as I have lived here for over 30 years,” Collins said. “The community is great and I hope they will join me and thousands of others in supporting our student-athletes, our coaches and our university.”