Richard appointed interim senior athletic administrator

ULM men’s basketball coach Keith Richard has been named interim senior athletic administrator.

The appointment was announced on Thursday by ULM President Nick Bruno in a press release.

During a press conference on Friday morning, Richard said he will assist outgoing athletic director Bobby Staub with the day-to-day operations of the ULM athletic department until a new athletic director is hired.

Staub, who resigned on April 16, will take some leave time until his last day on July 1.

“I will be acting in the absence of the athletic director,” Richard said. “When [Staub’s] out, it gives us a point person for the athletic department and it gives Dr. Bruno a point person.”

Specifically, Richard identified fundraising and football season ticket sales as areas he will be focusing on.

Bruno did not attend the press conference, but said in his release that Richard was the logical choice as his schedule permits more time during the upcoming search process for a permanent athletic director.

Richard finished his 2013 recruiting class last week and cannot return to the recruiting trail for 2014 until mid July per NCAA rules.

“If it was in the middle of basketball season, I wouldn’t be up here. It’s about timing which is critical because there’s a lot to do,” Richard said.

A ULM alumnus and former basketball player, Richard said he was approached by Bruno on Tuesday about the position before taking the job on Thursday.

“I took a couple days to think about this thoroughly. As an alum, I want what’s best for this school,” Richard said.

Richard has spoken with all of ULM’s head coaches and said they are all ready to move forward.

“This is going to be an important hire for the university and the athletic department,” Richard said. “This person, whoever it may be, is going to lead us for years to come.”