University parking increases decal price 100% this year

ULM has raised the price to purchase a parking decal from $50 to $100 this year.
ULM Vice President Stephen Richter said the extra money would be used in compliance with state laws.
Richter also said raising decal prices brought ULM in line with other universities within the state.
Eight universities in Louisiana have their prices available online. Four universities have prices of at least $100 and the other four were under $46.
Among those are LSU at $165, Xavier at $132, Dillard at $105 and University of New Orleans at $100. The other group consists of NSU at $45, McNeese and Tech at $40, and LSUS at $20.
Many students wish the permit prices were closer to the latter universities, especially with the parking fine increase.
“Tickets are already expensive and raising the decals is just doing too much. It’s making campus life a lot harder,” Demiere Burkett, a junior criminal justice major, said.
The increased funds from parking permits will allow ULM to spend more from the state general fund to upgrade or fix the campus.
“It sucks that the prices went up but they say it’s necessary, and as a student I don’t think I can really change it,” Sarah Ricaud, a pharmacy student, said.
The state law says funds from parking permits are “for use only for future construction and repair and maintenance of parking facilities, including streets, roadways, walks, and walkways leading into such parking facilities and for operation of these parking programs and for all operations incidental to campus related parking.”
Those who fail to register his or her car for this academic year will receive a $250 fine. School policy states “falsifying, forging, or altering permit will cost $50.”
The parking decal still features the Warhawk Athletics logo but with a maroon background.