College fair offers opportunities

One of the many ways ULM extends a welcoming hand to prospective students is by hosting the annual College Fair for current high school seniors from Monroe, West Monroe and surrounding areas.

ULM’s annual college fair took place the mornings of Sept. 4-5 at the Coliseum.

Various departments, clubs, organizations and even neighboring colleges set up attention grabbing booths to present information to potential students.

“Students don’t really know what all the school has to offer and coming here really shows them all the opportunities they can have,” said Damien Jefferson, a graduate sports fitness recreation management student. “It’s good they come and learn about the programs.”

Many students arrive at the fair with a major and career path in mind but leave with the knowledge of other choices.

“A lot of students want to be a PE coach, and we can tell them about that as well as other options they may not know about,” said Jonathon Hollier, a graduate clinical exercise physiology student.

Hollier introduced the students to kinesiology, which is a field of study many have heard of but never understood.

Since there are many displays to visit and a lot of information to absorb, each booth worked to present their material to students in efficient and memorable ways.

“We have brochures because that is what students are looking for. They can take them home and review them,” said Brianna Cooper, a senior finance major and vice president of the Financial Management Association.

Cooper also presented a board featuring what young students are most interested in: money.

“The $100 bill on our board draws attention and brings students in because it’s funny and an ice breaker. With that, we explain to students what our group does and how it can further their career,” Cooper said.

Because of efforts to make prospective students feel well informed, interest in ULM continues to grow and the university’s welcome has been eagerly received.

Sophomore accounting and computer information systems major Justin Bell participated in the fair two years ago and believes that participating influenced his decision to attend the university.

“Attending the college fair made me realize how diverse ULM is and how broad a range of majors they offer,” Bell said.