Attacks occur during Grambling game

Sometimes big events can leave certain areas vulnerable to crime.

Five crimes were committed on campus Saturday Sept. 7 after the ULM-Grambling football game. One aggravated assault, one second degree robbery, one armed robbery and two felony thefts were committed between 8:40. and 10:50 p.m.

Each victim was walking alone through campus when attacked.  The crimes were committed near Warhawk Way, Northeast Drive and LaSalle Street. Only one of the victims is a ULM student.

Lt. Steve Mahon, officer in charge of the ULM Police Department, said that campus police are closing in on the suspects.

They believe that the same group of black, male juveniles committed all of the attacks. The suspects are from the Monroe area.

“It hit security at a bad time because of the mass exit after the game,” Mahon said.

Allen Spires, a junior general studies major, attended the game and said he wishes that these incidents could be prevented but is aware of the dangers.

“Things are gonna happen in large crowds, but it isn’t gonna keep me from coming around or going to another game,” Spires said.

According to Mahon, campus police enforce higher security during and after games, and this game was no different than any other in terms of security.

Mahon said that the best way for students to stay safe on campus after dark is to utilize the buddy system, traveling only in pairs or groups. If a student must be out alone at night, Mahon urges students to request a police escort.

Marsherry Durham, a freshman RadTech major, and Cody Grimsley, a senior biology major, were both walking through campus during the time of the crimes.

Grimsley was unarmed and even passed by Northeast Drive where one of the victims was knocked unconscious.

“It definitely made me nervous when I read the notification about the crimes. It made me reflect back to where I was that night and that it could have been me,” Grimsley said.

Durham was headed back to her dorm with friends during the time the first crime was committed.

She said that she is always cautious when she is out at night. She carries mace, tries to stay in well-lit areas and walks with a group of people.

In case of an emergency, there are 23 emergency call boxes located throughout campus; these boxes contact the University police directly.

You can contact the university police at (318) 342-5350, in person at Filhiol Hall or anonymously through “Silent Witness” at webservices.ulm.edu.

View Comments (1)