Students rip the runway at career style show

Photo by Daniel RussellStudents took the stage, showcasing formal, casual and business attire at the fourth-annual Career Style Fashion Show Wednesday night. Career Connections and Student Life and Leadership hosted the fashion show, which typically draws in different organizations to model.

“The fact that Career Connections invited me to be a part of the event is what generally appealed to me, and the fact that I could promote for my fraternity,” said Calvin Stafford, a forensic psychology graduate student. “But after being in the show I learned vital information that I could not have gotten anywhere else.”

Director of Career Connections, Roslynn Pogue and Miss ULM 2013 Amy Matherne hosted the show, while Century Link and Enterprise Car Rental sponsored the event.

The event is designed to show students how to dress when in business or professional settings.

“Sometimes what we wear may be nice and trendy, but it may not be appropriate for a business event,” Pogue said.

The show consisted of six different categories: career fair, interview, business lunch/dinner, sporting/charity event, conference/convention and banquet formal.

Audience members had a chance to win prizes throughout the show, by answering business etiquette questions in between each category.

As each student strutted down the runway, the audience got a chance to see exactly what should and shouldn’t be worn at a business or professional event.

“I feel more prepared for the business world as far as what attire I should wear,” said Martinez Anderson, a junior psychology major.

For a career fair, ladies should wear a nice dress and blazer while men should wear a button up polo shirt, slacks and tie.

The models demonstrated that attire and actions should be consistent with a business lunch or dinner. Do not order the most expensive meal on the menu and always eat from the outside in, were some of the tips Pogue gave while hosting the show.

Steven Weide, a senior general studies and business major, said he learned a lot from the show. And as graduation approaches, he will have a better knowledge of what fashion is and isn’t acceptable in the business world.

Wednesday’s show almost topped last year’s attendees’ numbers with over 750 people in attendance and 42 models walking the stage.

This was the first time the show had judges and prizes for the winners. The audience determined the winners, as they gave a round of applause for their favorite model.

The first place winner for the men was John Mark Henderson and Logan Dayle took the crown for the ladies.