Throw back Thursday gives students back their childhood, raises money

Up ‘til Dawn took Instagram’s “Throwback Thursday” and brought it to life right on campus.

Last Thursday, the group gave students back their childhood while raising money for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital with 90’s trivia, music and slime.

“We were brainstorming about a super fun, big event we could do,” said Emily Lovelady, a senior elementary education major and recruitment chair for Up ‘til Dawn executive board. “Trying to make it relevant and trending I thought about Instagram. I thought we could make it a throwback about our childhood and use a common theme for the day.”

Lovelady and the rest of the team wanted students to have a great time while reliving and remembering their childhood for the cause.

“We hope that students will get involved to help give the kids at St. Jude a just as awesome childhood,” Lovelady said.

Miss ULM Amy Matherne not only supported and helped with the cause, but she took two buckets of green slime over the head as a ‘finale’ for the event.

“It was gross and sticky but it was for a good cause,” said Matherne, a senior vocal music major.

Lovelady said Matherne was a good sport about the sliming.

“…She didn’t hesitate to participate when I asked her to get slimed for St. Jude. We have an awesome representation of ULM under that crown,” Lovelady said.

Brittany Wright, a freshman nursing major, enjoyed Throwback Thursday and is now motivated to join the fun.

“I think the event was a really great idea. It was nice of Miss ULM to participate and contribute to Up til’ Dawn,” said Wright. “I’m looking forward to more events and I think I would like to join a team next semester and be a part of the excitement.”

Up ‘til Dawn is a student led program that is active on colleges nationwide. It provides leadership and community service opportunities by hosting events and fundraisers on campus.

Last week was Up ‘til Dawn’s college week, a part of Childhood Cancer Awareness month.

On Tuesday, ULM’s Up ‘til Dawn “gave cancer the boot” by collecting money in children’s boots and recruiting students for fundraising teams.

On Wednesday, they rushed to collect $20 in 20 twenty minutes for the theme of “caputured for a cure,” which allowed the Up ‘til Dawn members to “get out of jail.”

From jamming to N’sync and Britney Spears to slime time, Up ‘til Dawn spread the word about St. Jude’s cause while spreading some 90’s love.