Mock Trial members win award at 1st Jackson Jamboree

The Mock Trial Team sent their gold and maroon squads to compete against Millsaps College and Mississippi College in the 1st Annual Jackson Jamboree in Jackson, Miss.

Ryan Lloyd, a senior English major, and Jonathan Cobb, a senior political science major, took home awards for Best Attorney. Lloyd also had the overall highest score of the attorneys.

Joseph Bamburg and Cheyenne Wilson, political science majors, won Best Witness awards.

According to Lloyd, it’s important to prepare from both sides of the spectrum. The teams don’t find out whether they are the defense or the prosecution until about 10 minutes before the competition.

The competition then begins like a real courtroom trial. The defense and prosecution give their opening statement, and then cross-examine the witnesses.

Once both sides have had their time with the witnesses and evidence, they give their closing argument. Everything is timed.

Lloyd believes that it was a blessing to have coaches Robert Noel and Kyle Moore.

“I was very thankful and excited about winning the award. I owe a great debt to my coaches, Bob Noel and Kyle Moore, for really pushing me and working with me so much,” said Lloyd. “They sacrifice a lot of their own personal time to see that our teams succeed.”

Cobb was new to the role of attorney. During last year’s trials he was a witness.

“…But as a witness it’s a different role so it’s good to succeed in a new one,” Cobb said.

Cobb said that they did pretty well their first season, but this year they will do better.

“Every member of the team works very hard…” said Lloyd. “We all know what we want to accomplish in the future and the mock trial team is just a huge stepping stone for that.”

Both squads will compete in the Mid-South Invitational Mock Trial Tournament in November and the Regional Tournament hosted by the American Mock Trial Association in February.