Halloween Ball provides safe place to party

Photo by Daniel RussellFaces painted, hair dyed and costumes on, students crawled and crept their way to Brown Gym on Halloween night for a scary good time.

SGA has been putting on the Halloween Ball since 2010 and this year the night of activities included a costume contest and music provided by 100.1 The Beat’s DJ star.

Despite the rain and gloom surrounding campus, students came out to dance the night away in costumes like the joker, an African queen, Super Woman and even faceless ghouls.

Some students even looked past the store shelves and created their own Where’s Waldo, Inspector Gadget and Despicable Me minion costumes. Couples came dressed as characters such as Minnie and Mickey Mouse.

Of course, there was no shortage of candy. The tables were covered in chewy and chocolaty treats for the partygoers to enjoy, leaving all the tricking up to the mysterious masked figures that were lurking around the room. Students hit the dance floor, moving along to their favorite songs both new and old.

Devonte Grinstead, SGA senator for the College of Health Sciences and a senior health studies pre-professional major, said getting ready for the ball was no easy task.

“It was an all-day event,” said Grinstead, “SGA worked hard, setting up tables and chairs, stringing spider webs, decorating and providing food for students to enjoy during the event.”

Grinstead said that they hoped a lot of people came because they had free food, a cash bar and a great DJ.

The turnout met SGA’s expectations, with the room full of a diverse group of students dressed and ready for the occasion.

Regan Orman, a sophomore speech-language-pathology major, was one of many that enjoyed the Halloween Ball.

“It seemed like a really fun event, and I liked that it was right on campus,” said Orman. “They had good music and everyone was in the spirit and having a great time.”

Though there were many Halloween parties happening around town, Orman found that supporting a campus activity was most fun for her.

“It’s cool that we have the option to have a great time with our fellow students without leaving the safety of campus,” Orman said.

SGA offered free golf cart rides to students to ensure that they got back to the dorms and apartments safely after Halloween Ball.

As another Halloween has come to an end, the ghouls and goblins return to the shadows, and students put away their costumes after another annual SGA Halloween Ball.