Veteran’s Appreciation Ceremony honors students

Veterans Appreciation Ceremony honors students

Photo by Terrance ArmstardULM hosted a Veteran’s Appreciation Ceremony on Wednesday to honor the university’s military veterans and their families.

Wayne Brumfield, vice president of student affairs, recognized the 86 military veterans currently enrolled or working at ULM.

Red, white and blue ribbons were presented to the 34 veterans present at the ceremony.

Those not present were honored with a moment of silence.

The Ouachita Parish High School Color Guard presented the colors, and Master Sergeant Brian Sivils sang the National Anthem.

President Nick Bruno introduced Major General Glenn Curtis of the Louisiana Army National Guard, who gave the address.

Curtis recognized the men and women at the ceremony who served in World War I, World War II, Korea, Vietnam, the Cold War, Grenada Invasion, Gulf War and the Global War on Terror, as well as the families of the veterans.

According to Kyle O’Neal, coordinator of academic internships and chair of the Veteran’s Appreciation Committee, this was ULM’s second veteran’s appreciation ceremony.

“I’m so appreciative of veterans. I just want to make sure they’re paid the respect they really do deserve,” O’Neal said.

O’Neal said that the committee will continue to build on the foundation of this ceremony in the years to come. According to O’Neal, next year’s ceremony might include dedicating something on campus to veterans.

Staff Sergeant Morgan Sneed, a senior psychology major, was one of the veterans present at the ceremony.

Sneed served 10 years in the U.S. Air Force Special Forces, which included four deployments overseas. Sneed said that he was glad ULM decided to honor the veterans.

Whitney Sivils, an advisor in the College of Education and daughter of Master Sergeant Brian Sivils, appreciated the ceremony.

“I’m glad they highlighted the family contribution. It takes a whole family to support a service member,” Sivils said.

Kevin Bradford, a senior majoring in education, also attended the ceremony.

“I wanted to support the veterans of this community and this school… It’s good to see this university pausing to thank our veterans,” Bradford said.

A reception was offered after the ceremony for the veterans and special guests.

The special guests at the ceremony include Representative Candidate Neil Riser, Brigadier General Joanne Sheridan, Senator Mike Walsworth, John Nolan of the Wounded Warrior Project and Billy Varner of the Wellspring Alliance.

The reception was sponsored by Centric Federal Credit Union, Regions Bank and Community Trust Bank. Sponsors were presented with plaques as thanks for their contributions.