Crime: Couple robs several unlocked cars in area

Police arrested two suspects involved in a string of approximately 30 burglaries on campus and in the surrounding areas.

William Hunter Loveland, 19, and Anne Colin Brooks, 18, were arrested Jan. 26, each with nine felony counts of vehicular burglary. Loveland was also charged with one count of felony theft and one count of cultivation of marijuana.

According to Detective Reggie Brown of the Monroe Police Department, the burglaries began Jan. 24. Brown said the police department received calls about the burglaries over a two-day period before finding the suspects. Monroe Police and ULM Police collaborated in the search and investigation.

Brown said that 12 victims have been identified so far, but he estimates a total of 20 victims. According to Brown, several victims were unaware they had been robbed because no point of entry was visible after the burglary.

Loveland and Brooks targeted unlocked cars on campus and in the North Monroe area, as well as several residents in Northside Monroe. Brown said that four of the burglarized cars were on campus, and of the estimated 30 burglaries, nine have been cleared so far.

Brown said that police are following up on leads concerning three other persons of interest in the case. Brooks is also a person of interest in an ongoing investigation in Ruston.

They could possibly face probation and between six months and two years in jail for their felony charges.