Diverse talents celebrate Black History Month

The university welcomes a number of guest and talents for Black History Month.

The Black History Month Planning and Diversity Committees encourage all students to attend these February events. Each one is free and located on campus.

“I hope the students take advantage of this opportunity to get educated outside of the classroom,” said Pamela Higgins Saulsberry, the Diversity Committee Chair.

ULM continues the tradition of celebrating Black History Month every year with presentations by special guest speakers.

Saulsberry said the Diversity Committee likes to feature modern speakers to show that black history is ongoing.

The guest speakers usually have roots in Louisiana or are alumni and cover different aspects including business, education and arts.

“Black people have made a vast number of contributions to every walk of life,” Saulsberry said.

There will be a few events each week throughout the entire month of February starting on Feb. 4 with guest speaker William Gipson from the University of Pennsylvania.

On Feb. 25, a “Cultural Shock Diversity Hypnosis” will take place in the SUB Ballrooms. This event is sponsored by CAB.

“As a CAB member, I support the activities we sponsor and this one seems very exciting. I wonder if I’ll get the chance to see someone get hypnotized,” said Roslin Tapar, a sophomore kinesiology major.