Preaching ‘lunatic’ terrorizes students

A large crowd stirred on campus last week as a Pentecostal preacher appeared in the Quad, preached about Jesus Christ and yelled at passing students. The man only identified himself as Steven and did not give his full name.

The preacher yelled Bible scriptures to the crowd of students and angered many of the spectators with his aggressive tactics. Soon, the man’s words began to conflict with some student’s ideology.

Jessica Crawford, a Pentecostal, walked by when the preacher noticed her attire and said, “thank you for being modest.” “When I first started hearing him, I immediately began getting irritated because of the way he was preaching his message,” said Crawford, a freshman psychology major.

Crawford confronted the preacher and said that what he was saying was not the same thing that she believed in. Angry words were exchanged and Crawford left in tears.

Danera Brown, a sophomore computer science major, claimed that the man called her a “sinner” and a “whore.” Brown believes he tries to anger students in hopes to provoke someone to hit him. “I’ve talked to all my friends in the police department.  This is an ongoing scam. If ULMPD interferes, he can sue,” Brown said.

ULMPD chief Steven Mahon couldn’t confirm whether last week’s preacher was a scam, but he said: “He could argue that it is open for litigation. It would violate his first amendment right.”

In Ashton Jones, Appellant, v. Board of Regents of the University of Arizona, this is an example of an individual who has their first amendment rights violated by having officers remove him from campus. If ULMPD touches him while he preaches, he can sue and probably win due to precedent.

Throughout the day, students videotaped and photographed the man whom they were referred to as a “lunatic” as he preached in the Quad. Some students laughed as the preacher used the Bible scriptures to denounce all those who committed “deadly sins” such as “homosexuality.” Students made signs with scriptures that referenced love and treating everyone the same, regardless of who they are, to counteract the damage of the preacher’s words The preacher left roughly around 3:30 p.m. last Thursday.

View Comments (4)