Mardi Gras Ball

Terrance Armstard/ULM Photo Serv

photo courtesy of Terrance Armstard

Students let the good times roll Thursday night and got into the spirit of the annual Mardi Gras Ball. This event was hosted by the SGA.

Mardi Gras began as a Catholic tradition and is now a widely celebrated holiday around the world. For some of the students and faculty here at ULM, it means food, fun, and a three-day break from the daily scheduled classes.

“Attending the Mardi Gras Ball is a fun way to relax during midterms,” said Rita Onuzuruihe, a freshman pre-pharmacy major.

King cake, sandwiches, beverages and other refreshments were served. The SUB ballroom was decorated with sparkling lights, beads and traditional masks.

The fluorescent lights were turned down low, providing a relaxing setting for this otherwise stressful time, and several professors joined in on the festivities, including the well liked sociology professor Dr. Neil White.

“Mardi Gras Ball is the perfect excuse to get dressed up and have a great time,” said Catherine Schilling, junior biology major.

SGA has been hosting the annual Mardi Gras Ball since 2002. To launch the festivities, the Mardi Gras court was announced and its members showered traditional Mardi Gras beads on those in attendance. Jameshia Below was crowned Mardi Gras queen by Wayne Brumfield.

The crowned king was Michael Roboski, a senior marketing major.

“I’ve had a lot of good experiences here at college, and this is another good experience to add to my memories. I really enjoyed it a lot,” Below said.

After the court threw the beads, students began dancing to the wobble.

“It gets better every year,” said Jacob Teland, junior kinesiology major.

Many students believe that attending the Mardi Gras is an experience that Louisiana college students should not miss out on before they graduate.

[nggallery id=38]