‘Saint’ spews claims of sin

photo by Tejal PatelFor the second Thursday in a row, a man showed up preaching loudly and insulting students in the Quad. He didn’t answer what church he was from or his denomination. He refused to say his name and said to call him Saint Matthew.

A large crowd of students stood around watching and listening to his antics. Some responded to his yelling. Others filmed and took pictures. A couple of students formed a prayer circle for him. Police officers showed up in case any trouble occurred.

At one point Wendell Brumfield, vice president of student affairs, came down advising students to “use good common sense” and move on with their day.

Brumfield said, “How long will he stay? As long as kids listen is as long as he’ll stay.”

Donna Bernard, the media relations director, said his actions contradicted his proclaimed religion of Christianity.

“He was terribly rude and made no sense,” said Bernard. “Of course we don’t know what he was thinking or what his intentions are, but we don’t believe that he was sincere in his words. “

Bernard also believes he may be trying to enrage someone enough to attack him, which would allow him to file a lawsuit.

“If you want to engage him, that’s fine, but probably a good rule of thumb is when a person’s not making really good sense, what’s the sense in visiting with him,” Bernard said.

The man wore a body-sign with phrases like “baby killers,” “false religions” and “rebellious women” claiming various groups of people should fear God’s judgment. He also called students chronic masturbators and said everyone in a fraternity was going to hell.

He also appeared to be sexist, yelling made-up words like “sa-whore-ities” and “feminazis”, called all women lesbians and said women need to stay in the kitchen where they belong.

Hope Barton, a senior communications major, found his act rude.

“Whether you are religious or not, you should respect others. It’s pretty low to call people awful names just to rile them up in hopes of a lawsuit.”

Garrett Boyte, a junior communications major, wants people to understand that the man isn’t a Christian.

“He doesn’t walk in love. He doesn’t care about the truth. And he clearly hasn’t been effected by what really is the Good News [sic],” Boyte said.

Boyte said the best thing to do with people like this was “to love them, pity them and pray for them.”