Registration days change

Many students were confused and angered to find out that sophomores and juniors register on the same day, April 16, this semester.

Some student’s felt that their classes may be in jeopardy because of this change.

Barbara Michaelides, director of Retention, said she spoke with University Registrar Anthony Malta about the issue.

He said the dates were moved because registration week is the week before spring break, and that Friday is a holiday.

Michaelides said that since offices will not be open on that Friday, the decision was made for sophomores and juniors to register on Wednesday.

Thursday would then be open to all eligible students.

“I would tell students to get up at 5:45 a.m. and get on the computer by 6:00 a.m. when registration opens. Early bird gets the worm,” she said.

Michaelides said students should stay in close contact with their advisors during registration so that if they have any issues, they will be able to resolve them sooner.

Students are wondering if they will be able to get the classes they need. Kiera Smith, a sophomore pre-dental hygiene major, does not agree with the change.

“I’m not happy with it. Sophomores need some of the same classes as juniors and it’s going to be a competition to get them,” Smith said.

Smith said it was hard enough with the previous arrangement.

Rachel McClure, a junior kinesiology major, said that juniors need certain classes more and it’s unfair to them.

McClure encourages students to have a back-up plan in case they don’t get the classes they planned.