University installs Wi-Fi for dorm rooms

The school has recently finished installing Wi-Fi in all of the dorms and the apartments.

The new Wi-Fi service, ULMDorms, was installed by the ULM Computing Center in cooperation with Residential Life.

Stephen Richters, executive vice president, said the completed project was in response to student requests from every residence on campus.

Indeed, students on campus have been complaining about the poor Wi-Fi service – even if they had Wi-Fi for years.

Many students often commented on weak signal such as in Commons II.

Now those days are over and students have enjoyed the new Wi-Fi service.

Breana Boone, a sophomore accounting major, said, “I’m glad we finally got some Wi-Fi and don’t have to use an Ethernet cord anymore.”

She also appreciates the school for “actually working on something for the students they said they were going to do.”

Residential Life sent an email highly encouraging anyone illegally using a wireless router to stop now that a Wi-Fi service is installed.

Each building is “fully covered by a centrally managed Wi-Fi service similar to what has been deployed for the main campus usage the past few years.”

Dakota Glaze, a sophomore accounting major, doesn’t love the speed but appreciates having it.

He said it’s been “pretty decent and The Internet so far runs fairly quicker.”

“I mean some things start slowing down sooner than they were before but they’re doing maintenance on it so I guess will see if that makes better,” Glaze said.