Ballerina dances her way into ‘Cinderella’

photo by Kelley DavisKelley Davis was approached last semester about playing the lead role in Louisiana Delta Ballet’s ‘Cinderella.’

She accepted.

Kelley, a senior marketing major, has been dancing for 12 years, beginning in fifth grade.

She said the feeling she gets from dancing is unexplainable, and she wouldn’t trade her experience for anything else.

Kelley takes her nerves in stride, because she knows that they will go away quickly.

She puts so much hard work into her technique that she’s always ready for showtime to arrive.

Before she hits the stage, Kelley takes a deep breath.

“For a long time you’re not going to be able to have that calm, quiet moment,” she said. “So before every performance I take that moment to take a deep breath and think about things. Then I’m ready for it.”

Missy Crain, artistic director of Louisiana Delta Ballet, approached Kelley about Cinderella in November.

“She wanted me to take it seriously because it’s her favorite ballet and she wanted to do it because she felt like I could do it,” Kelley said.

And Kelley surprised Missy. She approached her a couple weeks ago and said she had exceeded her expectations.

Kelley said a lot of acting goes into dance. It’s not just pointing feet.

“You want the emotions to look raw, because it needs to look real not rehearsed,” Kelley said.

They have been rehearsing Cinderella since February. Kelley has been at the dance studio everyday except on Tuesdays rehearsing between two to five hours.

She said she doesn’t have a life on Saturdays, but it’s worth it.

Kelley sees dance classes as an outreach to get away from everything such as school and family issues. And Missy is a huge part of that.

“She’s not just a director she’s like a second mom for us at the studio. She’s there for you,” Kelley said.

But sometimes dance does get in the way. Kelley sees her “dance family” more than she sees her parents. She believes that her friendships at the studio are lifelong relationships; Its not something that will just end after a show is over.

Missy believes that Kelley is exquisite.

“She is an extremely dedicated and talented dancer and I am so proud of her for pouring her heart and soul into the role of Cinderella,” Missy said.

Kelley graduates in May, is getting married soon and works part time at a retirement home.

“It is very difficult to balance everything. Tears have been shed, but it’s been great,” she said.
She can’t wait to finish school and get married. Kelley wouldn’t change anything about her life.

Louisiana Delta Ballet is part of Regional Dance America’s southwest region.

Kelley has had the opportunity to travel to places like Canada for dance festivals and competitions.

She went to Dallas over the weekend for a festival.

Festivals showcase how other companies are developing and training. There are classes with choreographers and professionals from all over.

“Cinderella” is on March 29 at 7:30 p.m. at Jack Howard Theatre. Tickets are $20 and are available at the Monroe Civic Center Box Office.

Courtney Crain, a sophomore marketing major, and Mary Lusk, an undeclared major, are also performing in “Cinderella.” Courtney is playing the part of the stepsister and Mary as the spring fairy.

Missy said you do not want to miss Kelley performing the role of a lifetime.