Speaking hurtful words not enough for arrest

For two consecutive Thursdays, strange men showed up in the Quad saying offensive things to students.

Many wondered why such action was allowed.

Although his words may have been annoying, being annoying and saying mean things isn’t enough to get someone arrested for disturbing the peace.

“There would have to be obscenities used. The ones he was using the other day aren’t really classified by definition as obscenities or curse words, “ Lt. Steve Mahon said, referring to the fake words the men used like “feminazis” and “sa-whore-ities” towards students. Those words might have offended students but they’re not words the law recognizes as actual curse words.

This behavior would have gotten them in trouble if they were inside a room or near a classroom however.

Mahon said, “Disturbing someone’s peace, you know if they could hear them that loudly, causing disruption in the classroom…those type of disturbances would be a disturbing the peace charge.”

Mahon added that the men could even preach near buildings, such as under the balcony of the SUB, as long as they weren’t disturbing the peace of someone inside.

The law says that in addition to using offensive language towards someone or in their presence, the second half of the law says the person doing the offending must have bad intentions.

Without proof of him having bad intentions, he could sue the university for violating his freedom of speech.

“So they’re going to say their intent is out there to preach, not to offend,” Mahon said.

Peggy Bowers, a communications professor, said hurling insults at people is his opinion and first amendment right, although “some municipalities have things about public profanity.”

She said the best way to get him off campus is to ignore him. Each campus appearance drew a crowd, which just encourages the behavior.

Sage Christman, a senior English major, said his actions were legal but disgusting.

“It makes you wonder what those kind of people do with their life…like if that is all they live for then that’s pretty pathetic and they need to learn how to be an asset to society and not a disturbance. That’ll get them no where,” Christman said.