Lightening shuts down Brown

The University recently closed the two rear entrances to Brown Hall due to structural damage caused by a lightning strike.

Jason Roubique, director of facilities management & EHS, said that during the thunderstorm on April 8 lightning appeared to have struck the top of a chimney tower at Brown Hall and damaged the masonry on the chimney tower.

The damage wasn’t discovered until the following morning.

The entrances, currently barricaded off, will not re-open until most of the damaged masonry is removed from the tower.

Some portions of the masonry have become detached and fallen off of the stack.

Although the loose masonry has only landed on the roof of Brown Hall, ULM wants to ensure no one is in the immediate area if any other materials fall.

No one should be within the caution tape near the building.

Roubique estimates the work will be completed in the next two to three weeks, depending upon weather.

Students hope they finish sooner than later.

“Oh it’s a hassle, I have to leave like ten minutes early just to get to class,” said Kayla Leathem, a junior pre-pharmacy student.

Going to Brown isn’t the only time the barricade is slowing down students.

Not only does Abigail Gould, a junior toxicology major, have to wake up five to 10 minutes earlier to walk around the building, but it also takes her longer to get to her other classes.

“After I’m done with class I like to leave the back entrance to get to Sugar Hall but I realize I have to walk all the way through the front, around the building and then get to Sugar Hall,” Gould said.

Roubique said they are working swiftly to get it fixed but it’s not an easy process.

“It is a tedious process because we are going to try and not let any bricks or debris fall to the ground.  The demolition process will need to be safely controlled and therefore it will take some time to do the job in the safest manner,” Robique said.

A contractor will remove the damaged chimney tower to the roof level.

They then plan to reconstruct the tower, but only to about four feet above the roof level because, “The current chimney tower is about 23 feet above the roof level, and there is no reason that it needs to be that high,” Roubique said.

He appreciates everyone’s cooperation.

The repairs to Brown Hall will cost approximately $40K. ULM’s property insurer will pay for the repairs.