Campus settles into Walker Hall

Students and faculty sound off on the changes in Walker Hall.

English instructor Vanelis Rivera is glad to be back in Walker Hall. The incident left her department scattered across campus for a couple of years and now Rivera feels like she a part of everything again.

“Walker is home. It’s where I took most of my classes when I was graduate student,” Rivera said.

Before the move back, she was located on the fifth floor of the library and now in Walker Hall she has a more stable office to call her own.

Rivera experimented with ideas on Pinterest to make her new space reflect her personality. An entire wall is decorated with pages from magazines she had laying around. She said it makes her feel very comfortable.

As a sophomore Cameron Irby had never seen the inside of Walker Hall before this week. The English major was excited to have the opportunity to use the “new” building for his classes.

“The classrooms are actually very clean, up-to-date and modern, whereas Brown, where my previous classes were, felt like a high school setting,” Irby said.

But the aesthetic of Walker Hall isn’t the concern for Tralandra Ross, senior computer information systems major, who must depend on elevators to get to class. Ross is wheelchair bound and worries the slow elevators will prevent her from getting to class on time.

“The elevator system is very poor. It takes forever to go up and down three floors,” Ross said.

The upper floors did not receive as much renovation as the first floor and Myra Callender, a sophomore art major, wishes something could have been done with the bathrooms.

“They have a Silent Hill-like atmosphere to them with the lights flickering on and off,” Callender said.