Good choices key to staying healthy

KRT

Eating balanced meals three times a day can be tough for those living on campus. However, Center for Disease Control studies show that skipping meals for any reason can cause lasting damage.

Rachel Ratcliff, a freshmen kinesiology major, has experienced a major change in her diet as she’s started the semester.

“I used to eat all the time. I mainly eat in my room; I’ve had a lot of sandwiches for dinner. I may eat maybe two good meals a day,” Ratcliff said.

Ratcliff finds it hard to make time for meals, but tries to make them as healthy as possible.

“Buying my own groceries has really helped me regulate my diet. I buy healthy snacks, like baked chips and protein bars. The worst thing I have as a snack is probably gummy worms,” Ratcliff said.

Ratcliff works out regularly in an effort to maintain her current weight.

“I have to watch my blood sugar, so the healthy eating is mainly due to that. I was almost diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, but I lost a lot of weight and cleaned up my diet,” Ratcliff said.

Ratcliff attributed the Freshmen 15 mostly to stress. With homework, midterms and papers, it is easy to eat more or stop eating.

“School is important, and everyone wants to do well, but make your health a priority,” Ratcliff said.

Ratcliff suggested finding friends to share meals with as an incentive to eat regularly.

“Find a buddy who will care about you, not just encourage you to eat, but to encourage you to eat healthy,” Ratcliff said.

Sarah Tran, a freshman pre-pharmacy major, found herself skipping meals often due to lack of hunger.

“Sometimes I just don’t feel hungry. The last time I actually felt hungry was when a friend asked me out to dinner and I realized I was starving,” Tran said.

Tran said skipping meals is a horrible habit, and she tries to make up for skipped lunches with snacks and a large breakfast.

“Breakfast is my really my only healthy meal it’s the only one that I can really sit down and eat,” Tran said.

Though Tran does not go to the activity center, she feels as though she has lost weight.

“Just from walking to class and walking up stairs all day in this heat I can feel that my shirts are looser,” Tran said.

Elizabeth Owens, a freshman accounting major, said that surrounding yourself with friends can lead to a healthier lifestyle.

“Don’t make basement friends, make attic friends who will lift you up. Every student wants to do well in school, it’s the number one priority, but don’t skip meals and don’t starve yourself,” Owens said.

Tran agreed and stressed the importance of not starving yourself for any reason.

“You need food. You need to have energy. You can’t concentrate without it. If you skip meals it becomes so hard to focus in class and you won’t do well,” Tran said.

Tran said she believes that eating right and the possible eating disorders that students can develop should be covered in University Seminar.

“If you have a problem, you don’t want to have that stigma. But if it is in a class we are all required to take no one gets called out,” Tran said.

Mackey James, a senior communications major and former personal trainer at the activity center, said that he believes fitness and health to be the same thing.

“If you are working on your fitness, you are working on your health. Fitness is actually 80% diet,” James said.

James found that skipping meals is detrimental to metabolism and diet.

“I would suggest, that if you aren’t gong to work out a lot and you want to maintain your current health, eat five to six small meals a day. If you don’t, you put yourself into starvation mode and your metabolism slows down,” James said.

James recommended eating snacks every two to three hours rather than full meals. James suggested items such as protein bars in between meals.

“Good well-balanced meals are the best way to keep your metabolism healthy,” James said.

James encouraged the occasional cheat day, especially if you work out regularly. James advised those hoping to avoid putting on fat to stay away from high carbs and starches.

“Stay away from things that process into sugar. Alcohol directly processes into the bad type of fat and sugars in our bodies. You won’t shed a lot of pounds by binge drinking. Everything should be in moderation,” James said.

James said that a variety of healthy foods can be found in the cafeteria and SUB; you only have to know what to look for there.

James warned against skipping meals as it leads to the body entering starvation mode. Sluggishness and loss of focus are some side effects of lack of eating.

“You need a certain amount of calories a day, and if you don’t it them in consistently you will suffer. If you don’t put enough in you won’t get anything out,” James said.

Avoiding caffeine will help in regulating eating habits.  Caffeine stimulates a temporary energy burst, but is often accompanied by a crash.

“Find healthier ways to give yourself that energy. Anytime you are changing your diet up your body will go through a chemical change you will be irritable and sluggish, but after about a month you will get better,” James said.

James reminded those considering changing their diet doesn’t necessarily mean sacrifice.

“Diet simply means the way you eat.,” James said.