SGA wants fair chance for P1 students

SGA pondered last Tuesday over the idea of whether first-year pharmacy students, or P1 students, should be allowed to run for Homecoming court. 

The discussion was brought up last year about those students who enter pharmacy school their senior year and how that affects their eligibility for Homecoming king and queen.

“Some students apply to pharmacy school having the hours of a senior, and give up their senior year and also their ability to run for king and queen,” said SGA President Adrian Lejeune.

They are considered professional students by the pharmacy curriculum their first day of pharmacy school, but they are also not eligible for their undergrad degree until after their P1 year.

SGA Adviser Laura Knotts said P1 students have come to them in the past asking to run for Homecoming and Mardi Gras court.

“We have fifth year seniors taking a victory lap running for king and queen, and yet pharmacy students are not allowed,” Knotts said.

According to Rino Nicholas, a pharmacy student, requirements for the undergraduate degree changed when the name of the degree changed.

Now pharmacy students cannot receive their degree until the December of their P2 year. 

“A good cut off would be when you get that degree. It would be one semester extra, but it seems like a good cut off,” Nicholas said.

Though Nicholas thinks that a cut off after their first year is better since they will technically no longer be seniors.

SGA was unanimous on the decision that P1 students should be allowed to run for Homecoming king and queen. 

Knotts said it would still be the same situation where an organization has to nominate the student.

Homecoming week is during the last week of September.