Student blood donations continue 30-year tradition

Last week, ULM students, faculty and staff had the opportunity to save lives by donating blood at the annual campus blood drive sponsored by LifeShare Blood Center.

Founded in 1942 as Shreveport Memorial Blood Bank, LifeShare is a nonprofit organization that arose under the need for emergency donations during World War II.

According to the LifeShare website, blood is used to treat anyone from cancer patients to hemophiliacs, and every two seconds, someone will need a blood transfusion.

“Most people tend to feel better after donating. You never know whose life you might save. It could be a family member or a friend,” said Brandy Green, Donor Tech II.

The need for blood donors is evident even among the students here at ULM. Mollie Yorks, a sophomore pre-social work major, was once in need of donor blood.

Nearly three years ago, Yorks was on her way home from her first semester of college. She was run off of I-49 by a large truck, hitting loose gravel at 80 mph, causing her truck to flip in the median.

Her accident caused serious damage to multiple organs, including her spleen, lungs, kidneys and liver.

Immediately upon being admitted into the hospital, Yorks received two pints of blood and required even more blood transfusions over the course of two months.

“Donors saved my life, even though they don’t necessarily realize it. I know it isn’t exactly comfortable to have a needle in your arm, but you are helping people who really need it,” Yorks said.

Yorks considers donating blood to be one of the most selfless acts a person can do.

“I am so appreciative of the people who were my donors, even though I have no idea who they are. You could very well be the person who needs it one day,” Yorks said.

James “Adam” Isaac, a sophomore pre-pharmacy major, has depended on donor blood for a large portion of his life.

“I was born without an esophagus, which has led to over sixty surgeries throughout my life,” Isaac said.

Isaac has received numerous units of transfused blood during his lifetime.

“Currently, I am battling frequent hospitalization with anemia and reoccurring bleeding ulcers. Because of these issues, I have received around fifty units of transfused blood in the past year alone,” Isaac said.

Isaac is grateful to those who donate blood and help keep those like him healthy.

“I certainly would not be here without the generosity of many, many blood donors. I was blessed to have a very common blood type, but there are so many others who are not so lucky,” Isaac said.

There are multiple reasons why a person could need a blood donation. There is currently no substitute for human blood, and LifeShare states that one out of every three people will need a blood transfusion during their lifetime.

The donation process can take less than an hour, depending on what kind of donation is made.

“In some cases, it can take just one unit of donated blood to save a life, and even less to save a child’s. So if you are able, give blood; one donation is all it takes to make and incredible difference to someone in need,” Isaac said.

Donations can range from whole blood to plasma. Size restrictions may apply to those who want to donate certain kinds of blood.

LifeShare of Monroe is available to those who wish to donate year round. Located on Kilpatrick Boulevard, previous donors can schedule an appointment online. New donors can register on-site.

Donations are allowed after 52 days following a previous donation.