Death Valley Defense Decimates Warhawks

Connor Tarter

LSU proved too much for the Warhawks on Saturday and downed ULM with a final score of 31-0.

The Tiger’s defense controlled the game, holding ULM under 100 yards for the whole game. 

LSU’s rushing attack wore down the ULM defense with three different backs racking up 10 or more carries.

The Tigers would finish with 219 rushing yards on the day.

ULM head coach Todd Berry was obviously dissapointed by his team’s offensive effort.

“Offensively, we were just bad. I’ve been doing this a long time, been around a lot of offensive football; that’s about as bad as it get,” he said

The Warhawk defense kept them in the game in the first half, only allowing 10 points to the Tigers.

ULM quarterback Pete Thomas said that the team felt good about the game going into the second half.

“We were all very confident. The fact that we were only down 10-0, and offensively we didn’t play great at all. Our defense was playing their butt off, and offensively we weren’t playing enough,” he said.

LSU got their first score on a field goal with 3:20 left in the first quarter.

The defense kept each other in check for the rest of the first quarter. LSU running back Darrel Williams rumbled through the Warhawk defense for a 22-yard touchdown run less than two minutes into the second quarter. 

That brought the score to 10-0. That score would stick until after halftime.

The Warhawk offense struggled to get anything going against the tough LSU defense. It wasn’t until almost midway through the second quarter when ULM got their first first down of the game.

The Tigers would break the game open in the third quarter. Darrel Williams scored his second touchdown of the game on a one-yard run. Highly touted freshman Leonard Fornette broke loose for a 24-yard touchdown run to put the score at 24-0.

Kenny Hilliard put the finishing touches on the Warhawks, taking the ball in on a four-yard carry to put the final score at 31-0.

ULM will have a week off before suiting up to take on the Troy Trojans Sept. 27. Troy was picked to finish one ahead of ULM in the preseason poll at number four.