Smoke detected in library, students question security

Students evacuated the library last Monday night after smoke was detected on the third floor.

Though everyone left the building safely, the question of what happened that night still remains.

“No one has ever found what caused the smoke,” said Don Smith, dean of the library. “The firefighters could not find any evidence of any fire.” 

Ashley Hunter was in the computer lab on the first floor when she heard a man telling students to get out of the building.

“It seemed like he was taking students down from the third floor for causing a ruckus,” said Hunter, a freshman pre-occupational therapy assistant major.

Hunter soon realized it was an emergency. However, she said she never heard the fire alarm go off.

“It was smooth and everything went efficiently, but the fire alarm would probably be a lot better and safer,” Hunter said.

Students on the first and fifth floors were not able to hear the alarm.

Smith said the alarm was programmed to ring on the floor the fire is occurring on, the floor above it and the floor beneath it.

Only the second, third and fourth floors  heard the alarm that night.

“I don’t know what would be entailed to change the alarm system so that it would ring throughout the building each time,” Smith said.

Smith said it was intentionally installed that way to meet fire code when the library was built.

Other students who weren’t there that night were not informed about the incident. Morgan Smith, a senior Spanish major, said she was never notified.

“The campus didn’t announce it,” Smith said. “They didn’t do anything to reassure us that everything was okay.”