Wesley center celebrates 50 years of service

Over 50 years ago, Shelby White drove through what is now the ULM campus and came across the Methodist campus ministry located in a small white house.

She wrote a letter that was four pages long a few years later, describing in great detail how beautiful the campus was on that fine morning .

White talked about how ashamed she was to see the tiny little house that held the ministry that she had no affiliation with prior to that day.

After that drive, it became White’s personal mission to raise a fund for a new building.

That  building would later house the campus ministry and hangout now known as the Wesley Foundation.

“She planted the seed. This ministry has done a lot over the past 50 years and it’s because of her,” said Molly Masters, a junior business major. 

The building was completed on September 23, 1964. 

The Wesley Foundation celebrated 50 years of service at ULM on Tuesday.

“Every generation is different. I think the Wesley has evolved with each new generation of students,” said Misty Amy, the director of development.

The Wesley’s mission is to share the life, love and hope of Jesus Christ by inviting students to come, grow,  and serve, according to Amy.

Amy said many people who were somehow involved with the Wesley sometime in the last 50 years were invited to come back and join the celebration.

Songs from each decade were played, some by Shelby White’s great-grandchildren, Becky White and singer, song-writer Hank Williams Jr.

Along with live musical entertainment, the festivities also included food, fellowship and guest speakers from previous Wesley leadership.

“We are not just in the building, but we’re out on campus. We have all kinds of events that we host here that brings students in. I feel that it really makes a difference,” Amy said.

The Wesley Foundation is responsible for hosting many events and activities on campus.

It provides the free kayak rental to all students. 

The Wesley also hosts the annual Fish Fry and Frisbees event held in Bayou Park. 

In addition to reaching out to students here on campus, the Wesley Foundation provides opportunities for international missions as well. 

Angil Manasco has been affiliated with the Wesley since she arrived at ULM.

“A couple of my friends showed me where it was and I just fell in love with it,” said Manasco, a sophomore art major.

Pictures were hung up all around the building, allowing former students and leaders to reminisce and younger students to ponder what the future will bring for the Wesley Foundation.