Soccer left out of SBC Tournament

ULM soccer has wrapped up its season, finishing with a 8-10-1 overall record.

A 2-7 record in Sun Belt play meant the Warhawks were left out of the conference tournament. Making the tournament was the main preseason goal set for the team. The Warhawks finished one conference point behind UALR for eighth place in conference. The top eight teams in conference make the Sun Belt Conference tournament.

The team did make big strides, however. ULM finished with its best record since 2007. The Warhawks also shattered many school records, including the record for the most assists and points in a single season.

ULM started the season on a four game win streak. The Warhawks were able to take a 6-3-1 record into conference play.  The team would begin conference 1-1 before dropping four straight games. ULM would take victories against Georgia State and Texas State in conference.

Head coach Roberto Mazza said although there is disappointment, the team took a step forward this year.

“Ultimately, the next step is making this conference tournament, and in order for us to do that, we need to be better,” he said.

Two players from the roster were picked as 2014 College Madness All-SBC First-Team. Redshirt sophomore midfielder Antonia Land and junior midfielder Karlea Fehr were both added to the list after huge seasons.

The captain, Land, totaled 16 points during the year. That total was the sixth best in ULM single-season history.

Fehr finished the season with 22 points, which was good enough for third in ULM single-season history. She also became ULM’s all-time career leader in assists. She also tied the school record for assists in a season with eight.

Land acknowledged the disappointment from the season, while also pointing out how the team plans to improve.

“I think the season didn’t go as planned, but we showed improvement, definitely. We’re just going to develop more over the spring,” she said.