‘Book Swap’ births new Facebook group

Last semester, the ULM Book Swap Facebook page reached well over 2,000 members. The page was meant to assist ULM students who are on a tight budget by allowing them to exchange, advertise and purchase textbooks with other students.

According to Josh McDowell, Book Swap administrator and ULM graduate, the page was started back in the fall semester of 2009. However, since its creation, students took it upon themselves to use the page for more than just buying cheaper textbooks.

“The inspiration for Student to Student came from an increasing number of students asking about professors, classes and a number of other things on ULM Book Swap. It was a way to alleviate clutter for the posts concerning books to be more visible,” McDowell said.

Laura Folse, graduate of ULM, took it upon herself to administrate the new Student to Student @ ULM Facebook page in response to this sudden influx of student questions regarding spring registration.

“I certainly sympathize with students that have questions. College can be a very intimidating environment, and who better to be your guide than other students that have been in your position?” Folse said.

Folse said she and McDowell are currently the only two administrators for the page, but more can be added at a later date as needed.

She and McDowell are acquainted as former vice presidents of Phi Kappa Phi for consecutive years.

McDowell has used the Book Swap page to promote Student to Student in a pinned link. All promotion for this new student resource has been strictly through social media and by word of mouth.

“Laura and I had no idea what to expect in response to the creation of Student to Student, but it took off faster than either of us could have imagined. Within two hours of the page going public, it had more than 300 members,” McDowell said.

Since its creation, the Student to Student page has already reached 480 members and climbing. Students have already begun to fill the page with multiple questions regarding classes, professors and campus resources.

“Because social media puts the world at your fingertips, the answers are fast. Speed is a valuable asset when asking questions about drop dates, tuition payments, etc,” Folse said.

Access to “Student to Student” can be found on Facebook.