Volleyball comes up short

The Warhawk volleyball team faced off against the Arkansas State Red Wolves on Friday the 14th in Fant-Ewing in one of their last matches of the season.

The Warhawks entered with an overall record of 8-21 and a conference record of 2-14 against the Red Wolves who hold the second best record in the conference.

The match started out with incredible intensity as each side traded off volleys and points while not giving in to long runs by the other team.

After failing to close out the first set on two consecutive attempts ULM dropped the set 27-25.

The second set began much like the first with both sides trading points but neither side being able to establish an advantage. This all changed in the middle of the set with the Red Wolves pulling ahead by eight points and putting together what became an big lead.

The Warhawks put together a furious rally but fell in the second 25-19.

Optimism was in the atmosphere of the coliseum starting the second half with the Warhawks needing to win the first set to extend the match.

The Warhawks got off to a good start, building a small lead. The Red Wolves would rally back however, tying it back up, and setting up for an exciting right for the third set.

Points and spikes were delivered by each team as ULM clawed to remain in the match and the Red Wolves fought to close things out. The Red Wolves prevailed after a hard fought closing set and in the end defeated the Warhawks 25-22.

Coach Patrick Hiltz seemed pleased with the overall effort his team showed.

“We fought even though we’re essentially eliminated from the NCAA tournament and that shows the team understands the process. We’re building a championship program here and the team shows they understand this by not rolling over.,” he said

Marcela Araya made history setting the single season dig record.

“I’m happy about it and to be here and able to play for this team. I go out and do my best every time,” she said.

Following the senior night game against Appalachian State, the Warhawks will turn their attention to Friday night when they travel to South Alabama.

ULM will wrap up the season next Sunday in Lafayette when they travely to take on the Ragin Cajuns.