Alumnus ‘accounts’ community recognition

University of Louisiana at Monroe alumnus, John Cameron, was recently awarded the Society of Louisiana Certified Public Accountants’ 2014 Distinguished Public Service Award.

Through the Jason Paul Cameron Foundation created after the loss of his 17-year-old son, Cameron has supported and served his community.

“My son, Jason, was in the band and the foundation was an idea of some of the band moms. They wanted to do something in his memory,” said Cameron. “From there, it just grew. The support was tremendous and it helped us heal and helped us to give back.”

Cameron has also worked with other organizations like the Rotary Club, the Living Well Foundation and the youth at his church.

“We are blessed. Just helping and giving others a better start in life, spiritually and physically, is why I do this,” said Cameron.

Cameron supports local churches, families and schools and especially enjoys the satisfaction of awarding scholarships.

“These students just finished high school and they are truly entering the world for the first time and on their own. The scholarships give them a head start,” said Cameron.

Still, when it comes to helping and receiving recognition, Cameron prefers to stay behind the scenes.

“The Jason Paul Cameron Foundation was established to enrich the lives of young people through educational scholarships, Christian youth camp and mission trip scholarships, mentoring projects and other special ministries that benefit young people in our area,” said the Jason Paul Cameron Foundation’s Webstie.

Cameron said that the organization sponsors mission trips and scholarships.

“I try not to be out in the front, I just like to work and help however I can,” Cameron said.
Cameron encourages people to serve their community and help someone in need.

“We live in a free country with so much opportunity and we should have each other’s backs. Try serving others and you’ll be surprised,” said Cameron.” “It makes you feel good.”

Senior accounting major, Blake Weems, was inspired to see someone in her own field caring about the community. “If more people took pride in the place they lived and cared about doing community service, the world would be a much better place,” said Weems.

“While it’s important to be successful and earn a profit, all too often successful people forget about their social responsibility. It definitely shows me that people do still care about where they come from,” said Weems.

Cameron will now be nominated for the American Institute of CPAs National Public Service Award.

“I never thought anything like this would happen to me,” said Cameron. “I am very grateful and very humbled by it.”