SGA revamps tailgate practices

Mardi Gras ball, RSO scholarships, and a few changes to impact student life are on the agenda for SGA this spring.

SGA currently holds a budget of $72,245.15 and will award RSO scholarships in February.

SGA President Adrian LeJeune, a senior toxicology major, said there was a request for SGA to help section off the Grove for tailgating season and give funds for a new stage designated for tailgating events.

“This way more groups can fit in and have an assigned section from the beginning of the tailgate, so there’s no issue of ‘they stole our spot’ happening,” LeJeune said.

Chad McClurg feels that student organizations can benefit from having assigned tailgating spaces.

“We’ve never had any problems getting space before. I know everyone usually goes to their own little spot around the edge with no one in the middle. It would be good to have more students involved in the tailgates, there is plenty of space,” said McClurg, BCM director.

Laura Knotts, advisor to the SGA said that the stage used belongs to CAB and is not made to be outdoors.

“This will help us keep the indoor stage inside and also have a permanent outdoor stage,” said Knotts.

Knotts also pointed out that the stage currently used for these events is the same stage used for graduation ceremonies, and has already suffered water damage from outdoor use.

Applications for the Mardi Gras court are currently available. The Mardi Gras court is elected by college, not classification. The exception is the King and Queen, who must be graduating seniors.

Tickets will not be used. Instead, they will swipe their ULM ID for admittance to this event, which will take place Feb. 12.