Blood shed for good cause

Ask a group of people what makes them feel woozy. Blood? Needles? The fear of needles is one of the more common phobias of today, but freshman Taylor Witherspoon found donating blood a relaxing experience.

Witherspoon has been giving blood since her sophomore year of high school.

Her first time was a little scary because of all the stories she heard about people passing out. When it was her turn, she decided not to let it get to her.

She was excited.

“When the needle is in my arm, I don’t feel the needle,” said Carpenter. “I start to get really relaxed or sleepy. Not passing out type of sleepy. Just tired.”

Witherspoon, a vocal performance major, has given blood so many times now that when the needle hit her skin at the blood drive last Thursday, she just thought “here we go again.”

Witherspoon said it’s important to her to know that she may be able to save a person’s live one day.

She doesn’t know anyone personally who would benefit from her blood, but wouldn’t hesitate to donate to save their lives.

She hopes other people would do the same.

Senior Christian Lamb thinks everyone should take the time to donate blood because, “it is a much needed service that literally saves lives and it is so easy.”

“Once the needle hits your arm it is only a matter of waiting for it to be done,” Lamb said.

He said the employees always make sure donators are comfortable and feel okay before they get started.

“When I’m done, I always walkaway feeling like nothing is different and I might have potentially saved a life,” Lamb said.