BCM receives scholarship from SGA for new building

The SGA met Tuesday night for the first time in 3 weeks due to Mardis Gras break and the severe weather. 

At the meeting, the Baptist Collegiate Ministry received a scholarship to help aid the process of a new building.

Katy Thomas, an active BCM member, said there are many tiles falling out of the roof and leaking anytime a major storm hits.

“It’s mainly a roof thing. The air conditioning and heat go out often as well,” said Thomas, a junior elementary education major.

Roy Brown Jr., the representative sent by the BCM said the building is, “about 50 years old and basically falling apart as we speak.”

The building will be torn down before constructing a new one, which will take a while.

Brown said offices have already been moved out of the building due to leaks in certain areas. He said it’s a “one point four and a half million” dollar project, and the Louisiana Baptist Convention is paying for half of it. The BCM is also fundraising to support the project.

Other RSO’s such as Pi Sigma Epsilon and Up ‘til Dawn received scholarships to sponsor the ULM Golf Tournament and to fund the 5K Mustache Dash in April.

The SGA supports RSO’s by allotting $4,000 funding each semester to their RSO Scholarship fund. The fund allows for eight scholarships at the amount of $500 each to be granted to RSO’s that appeal to SGA.

Senators at the meeting were also reminded that SGA is not about fun, but about representing the student body.

“It’s to be the voice of the students to the administration,” Laura Knotts said.

The next “Let’s Talk, Warhawks” will be in the quad on Monday from 11am-1pm. The SGA said they want to hear from students and encourage them to stop by to share their opinions and ideas.

The SGA’s budget was $67,092.96 before RSO scholarships were granted. SGA elections take place March 25 and 26, with run-offs April 1.