Softball takes conference opener

The Warhawks’ doubleheader Saturday against Appalachian State featured a mercy run game and then another decided by a single run.

Melanie Coyne turned in 12-strikeout performance in just five innings of work, leading the Warhawks to a 10-1 win. She allowed a trio of hits that turned into one run for Appalachian State. The effort gave Coyne the win as her record moved to 3-3 on the year.

Appalachian State plated the first run before the Warhawks took control. Alexis Cacioppo batted in three runs while Vanessa Garcia and Coyne both turned in a pair of RBI.

The Warhawks exploded in the third inning for five runs before turning in three runs in the fourth and a pair of runs in the fifth.

The second game saw a bit of a closer matchup.

Appalachian State had a 4-0 lead going into the fourth inning. The bats for ULM would come alive.

The Warhawks would score a run in the fourth and fifth innings. The team then plated three in the top of the sixth inning.

The Mountaineers would score another run to tie the game before ULM would score once again in the seventh to put the game away with the score 6-5.

Cacioppo hit a double to score Faith Bohack for that final run.

The offense was spread around for the Warhawks as all six RBI came from a different player.

Paige Porter got the win in this game. Her record is now 7-1 for the season. She pitched 1.2 innings, giving up one run off one hit and striking out one.

Coyne took the save with a one hit seventh inning. That was Coyne’s first save of the year.

The Warhawks will now face off with Incarnate World twice in the coming week, with a doubleheader played on Wednesday.

ULM will then focus of a three game series with South Alabama