Warhawks spring into practice

Spring is here, which means the birds are chirping, the flowers are growing and spring practice has begun.

ULM kicked off their spring practice schedule last week.

Head Coach Todd Berry talked about getting back to the action.

“The experienced played like experienced guys and the guys that weren’t quite as experienced need some work,” he said.

The Warhawks have plenty of work to do this spring. Last year’s squad started off 3-1 before dropping seven of the last eight to finish 4-8. The team will have to replace seven of the starters from last year, including quarterback Pete Thomas.

The competition is wide open with six quarterbacks currently on the roster. The departure of Thomas means that the best passing attack in the Sun Belt last year will have to find a new leader. The six quarterbacks on the roster include a pair of graduates Earnest Carring-ton and Brayle Brown, along with junior Daniel Fitzwater. The rest of the crop is rounded out by freshmen or redshirt freshmen.

One of those redshirt freshman quarterbacks, Anthony Monken, said that the competition between the quarterbacks is a friendly one.

“Everyone wants what’s best for each other and what’s best for the team, if that means a different guy taking over, you just got to accept that,” he said.

ULM will continue practicing before holding scrimmages on the 14 and the 21 of this month. The Warhawks’ pro day will be on the 18. The team will close this month with the spring game on the 28.

The Warhawks will open up the 2015 season at Georgia on Sept. 9.