Basketball travels to Mercer in second round of CBI

A playmaking junior guard, Ike Nwamu, leads mercer.

Nwamu scored 10 of his 25 points in the final 2:02 to lead the Bears over Stony Brook, 72-70. His biggest points came with just two seconds left when he hit a jumper to give Mercer the win.

Luckily for the Warhawks, ULM has had plenty of experience in playing high-quality guards. Georgia State, the team that won the Sun Belt, has a trio of guards of unusually high caliber for the Sun Belt.

w R.J. Hunter is an expected early second round pick in the NBA draft. Kevin Ware transferred from Louisville after suffering a career threatening injury. Ryan Harrow was ESPN’s No. 39 player in the country out of high school in 2010. He played at both N.C. State and Kentucky.

ULM will have to try to shut down Mercer’s hot shooting. The Bears have shot a merciless 44.1 percent from the field.

That offensive output will be challenged by the Warhawks’ stingy defense that only allowed opponents to shoot around 38 percent on the year.

Nwamu is the leading scorer for Mercer. He average 15 points per game while shooting around 43 percent. Nwamu’s partner in the backcourt, Phillip Leonard, leads the Bears in assists with about five a game. He also has proved to be an efficient scorer. Leonard has shot a scorching 46.6 percent from the field this year.

T.j. Hallice leads the frontcourt for Mercer. He averaged six and a half rebounds per game. His low post presence accounted for around nine points a game.Like Leonard, Hallice was very efficient, shooting 50 percent on the year.

The game will take place Monday at Hawkins Arena in Macon, Ga. The winner will go on to face the winner of Colorado and Seattle.