Jaguars ground Warhawks

Baseball
Infielder Keelin Rasch crosses home plate during Saturday’s game. He went 1-4 with a RBI and a run scored. (courtesy of ULM Athletics)
Baseball
Infielder Keelin Rasch crosses home plate during Saturday’s game. He went 1-4 with a RBI and a run scored.
(courtesy of ULM Athletics)

After five games on the road the Warhawks played their second game of a three game series against South Alabama Saturday night.

This series began a stretch of nine out of ten games that will be played on Warhawk Field. The Warhawk bats struggled, and ULM fell 9-4 to the Jaguars.

Coach Peddie said the team has mental obstacles to overcome to rebound and have a successful season.   

“We got to continue to fight through this, and again some of the kids are feeling like they’ve hit rock bottom, but again we’ve got a long season and we’ve still got plenty to play for,” he said.

ULM began the night strong, driving in two runs within the first inning to take an early lead. The Jaguars struck back though plating one run in the second and three in the third on a home-run blast to take a 4-2 lead over the Warhawks.

The Jaguars drove another run home in the fifth to take a 5-2 lead, and the Warhawks struggled to make anything happen. After a scoreless fifth the Jaguars opened the top of the sixth with three more runs to balloon the lead to 8-2.

The Warhawks would not go out quietly and were able to put two runs in during the bottom of the sixth.

This would be the last time the Warhawks added tallies to the scoreboard though and the Jaguars drove one more run in at the top of the seventh to leave the final score at 9-4.

The coach said the team needs to get better at playing through adversity.

“We’re going to be behind in games and we’ve got to learn how to battle and continue to play the full nine innings,” he said.