Softball splits Saturday with Mavs

The Warhawks ended the skid of losses against UT-Arlington Saturday night.

Game one featured a dramatic seventh inning in which the Warhawks scored two to bring the game to extras.

Head Coach Corey Lyon said that he was proud of the way his team played.

“It’s easy to sometimes, you know, fold the tent a little bit. They never did. They fought back,” he said.

The Mavericks brought a 3-1 lead into the bottom of the seventh. RBI from Melanie Coy and Faith Bohack would tie the game at 3-3.

That score would stay until the Mavericks hit a two-run homer that would put UT-Arlington up for good. The final score in game one was 5-3.

The Warhawk offensive came up huge in game two. ULM responded to a two-run top half of the first with a five-run bottom half.

The Mavericks would threaten the home team in the fourth inning. The Warhawks were able to get out of the inning while only allowing one run.

The fifth inning would nearly put the game away for ULM. The Warhawks were able to load the bases for Bohack.

The junior came through with a single that cleared the bases after a Maverick error. Miyuki Navarrete would score Bohack on a triple.

UT-Arlington would not go down easy, however. The Mavericks scored two to threaten the Warhawk lead. The home team would close the door on the visitors with the score at 9-5.

The Warhawks are now 25-14 heading into Sunday’s matchup with  UT-Arlington. The team has a 9-6 record in the Sun Belt with just two series left.