New computing center feature aids assignments

Students can now access a website that helps them print faster and get to class on time.

It’s called myprint.ulm.edu. Students can login with their normal username and password and submit the documents they want to print.

“They can drag over adobe PDFs, word documents, picture files, PowerPoint and excel sheets,” said Don Garrett, lab technology coordinator.

Garrett said students could use the site to print from any mobile device.

They can submit it and then “release it” from any print station on campus.

Garrett started working at ULM last year and found that students used their own technology more than campus computers.

He said this website not only puts their devices to better use, but also saves time.

“Instead of them logging in through the school computer, they can skip that step by walking straight to the printing station,” Garrett said.

Garrett said the new site also benefits commuter students who don’t have their own printers.

“If they are at home they can submit a job and it will sit in the queue for 12 hours,” said Garrett. “It gives them enough time to come up here and print it out.”

Diego Gomez commutes to school and said he hopes it will cut down on “student traffic” in the library.

“There are times that I am in a hurry and I need to print something,” said Gomez. “It has the potential to save a lot of time for students.”

Gomez said the new site is “innovative” and will be “a great asset for students and the university.”

He said he plans to use the new site to his advantage so he can prevent rushing to class.

Garrett hopes that students will find the new feature convenient.

He said they will be able to keep track of the print jobs being submitted throught the website.

“So at least we’re able to see if its’s being utilized,” Garrett said.

Garrett said the computing center is working on new ideas that will improve printing on campus.

“We’re working on a way for students to buy extra credit and be able to add that so that they can continue printing until the end of the week,” Garrett said.

Garrett said its possible for the new idea to be implemented in the Spring.

Meanwhile, students who have more questions about the website and how it works can contact Garrett at [email protected] or call the help desk in the library at 342-3333.