Volleyball aces 3 of 4 games in tournament

Volleyball takes three of four matches in the Gamecock Invitational.

With a strong performance by junior outside Taylor Zaeske ULM took the first set of their match against Wofford 25-19.

The Terriers responded with nine points in a row in the second and took the set 25-15.

After taking a 21-17 advantage ULM looked to take the third but Wofford would score eight in a row to steal the set.

Four Warhawk errors helped the Terriers capture the fourth and match after ULM had set point at 24-20.

Attacking at a rate not seen since ULM faced off against Grambling on Sept. 13 of 2012 the Warhawks swept the Alabama A&M Terriers in three straight sets.

After the first set stood knotted at four points apiece Kaitlyn Shearer delivered back to back kills to ignite a five point Warhawk run. This led to an eventual 25-17 win.

Continuing their dominant play the Warhawks took the second set 25-17. Facing a three-point deficit in the third ULM knotted the score at 15 before scoring 10 of their last five points on aces and taking the match.

The Warhawks swept Alcorn State behind a strong attack led by Kaitlyn Shearer, Taylor Zaeske and Hadley Swartz.

Knocking down five service aces and taking advantage of five errors on the part of Alcorn State the Warhawks never looked back in their domination of the first set 25-9.

Alcorn State seemed to find their rhythem at the start of the second but four errors in the next seven points slowed the Brave’s attack. Behind multiple kills from Swartz and Shearer the Warhawks took the second set 25-7.

The third set began with the Braves taking a 5-4 lead but with a balanced attack and six more service errors by Alcorn State the Warhawks took the set and match.

Double digit kills by three Warhawks led to a three set sweep of Jackson State.

After 12 ties the Warhawks took the first set 26-24 behind strong play from Hope Pawlik and Taylor Zaeske.

The second saw the Warhawks dominate behind powerful offensive play 25-12.

With back and forth play generating 15 ties the Warhawks remained grounded and took the third 26-24. Pawlik led the way with 10 kills.