Season opener suffers bite

Georgia delivered a resounding defeat to ULM Saturday, downing the Warhawks 51-14.

The game was called due to lightning with 9:54 left in the fourth on agreement between the head football coaches of each team and their athletic directors.

This came after lightening had caused an hour and minute delay with 8:35 left on the clock in the third.

A balanced offensive attack wore down the Warhawk defense throughout the game.

Racking up 243 yards on the ground the Warhawks had no answer for the Bulldogs rushing assault.

Running backs Nick Chubb and Keith Marshal had 10 and 16 carries respectively for the Bulldogs resulting in a total of 193 yards and four touchdowns.

In the air Grayson Lambert threw for 141 yards and two touchdowns averaging 11.8 yards per pass.

Coach Berry noted the team’s struggles on the defensive side as well as on offense and special teams.

“It was field position. The kicking game, our inability to move the ball on offense, our inability to stop them on defense,” Berry said.

Georgia struck first with 10:45 left in the first on a 14 yard Nick Chubb run.

This was set up on a blocked punt.

An interception on the Warhawks 15 yard line led the Bulldogs to complete a 15 yard pass for their second touchdown of the game.

The second quarter seemed to be all Georgia’s as Kieth Richards and Nick Chubb found the end zone and Brice Ramsey threw his first touchdown of the game.

ULM found the scoreboard 20 seconds before the half on a Reshon Ceasar touchdown reception from Garrett Smith.

Smith found Ceasar again to start the third connecting for a 29 yard touchdwon pass to cut the Georgia lead to 21.

It was all Georgia from there  as Lambert threw his third touchdown and Keith Richards ran in his second.

A blocked punt also resulted in a Bulldog safety.

Rashon Ceaser went for a career high 153 yards and 13 receptions in the loss.

“Just thinking about the team, I tried to put my team on my back and put some points on the board. When you play a team like Georgia and you aren’t executing than this is what happens,” Ceaser said.

Garrett Smith went 23-29 for 206 yards, two touchdowns, and an interception in his first collegiate start.

.

interception in his first career start.