Student voter ratio low; NAACP wants change

According to CivicYouth.com, voters between the age of 18 to 29 only made up 19 percent of ballots in last year’s gubernatorial election. This year, the on-campus National Association for the Advancement of Colored People said it’s time to change those numbers.

To help make that change, NAACP members set up in the quad to invite students to register to vote during their Voter’s Registration Drive last Thursday.

Tra’von Washington, senior kinesiology major, was one of the members encouraging students to vote.

Washington said young adults, especially students, should be the main citizens voting.

“As students there are a lot of voting things dealing with our education and people try to take money from education,” said Washington.

“If we don’t vote for things to prevent them from happening, we’re just going to keep getting hit with cuts.”

Betty Cooper is the the NAACP advisor,  who says that many students feel as though their vote doesn’t count.

“They need to know their votes count,” Cooper said.

Raven Hargrove, a senior biology major, said she registered with the NAACP because she wants to be heard.

“I feel that I can’t complain about things in this country if I don’t vote,” Hargrove said.

Sept. 23 is the deadline for registering new voters (or making voter application changes).

Aug. 31st to Sept. 4th is declared as Louisiana’s Annual Voter Registration Week.

To get registered, visit sos.la.gov or go to Warhawk ID Services on campus.