New director ready to protect, serve

Tom Torregrossa served the Monroe Police Department for 36 years, but he’s decided it’s time to head back to college.

However, the 1979 criminal justice alumnus won’t be a student again. Instead, he became the university’s new police director last Monday. He said he looks forward to reaching out to students, faculty, staff and visitors.

“We’re going to become part of the student body,” Torregrossa said.

Katie Wright, a sophomore pre-pharmacy major, said she’s pleased with the effort to connect with students.

“I think it’s good to try to build that relationship, so there’s more trust between both,” Wright said.

Tom Torregrossa speaks to Linda Ross at the front desk of the UPD station during his first week as Director of Police.

Wright also said more presence would make it easier for those in need to reach out.

Though Addison Neill, a freshman undeclared major, said he’s glad ULM PD intends to be more visual on campus, he said he doesn’t want to feel like he can’t be himself.

“As long as nothing is made uncomfortable, that’s perfectly fine,” Neill said.

Torregrossa arrived just as the police department shifted from the Executive Vice President’s Office to the Office of Student Affairs. He also follows the departure of former Officer in Charge, Steven Mahon.

Camile Currier, Vice President of Student Affairs, calls Torregrossa’s arrival a “win-win situation” for everyone.

“I think he understands the university community and that we want to get back into community policing and try to change our image that we’re here to help the students,” Currier said.

Though Torregrossa said campus is now “extremely safe,” he wants to improve it. University police began meeting with the Title IX coordinators and investigators, according to Torregrossa. Title IX is a federal right prohibiting sex discrimination in education.

“We’re going to do everything in our power to make this university, this campus safe for women,” Torregrossa said.

For students living nearby campus, university police will continue to assist in “any way [they] can.” This includes police escorts home.

Torregrossa said he thinks it will be a rewarding job, especially considering this year’s largest freshman class.

“In a way, I get to see all of these kids grow up,” he said.

Torregrossa wants students to know he understands what crises students or faculty might go through. He also said he wants to help students move on from their mistakes.

“A slip is not a fall,” Torregrossa said.

Even if their actions require some kind of discipline, he said students will be able to reflect on being treated fairly.

“When you’re here on this campus, we’re going to take care of you,” Torregrossa said.

Editor’s Note:

Tyler Smith was also a contributor to this article. To contact Smith, e-mail [email protected]